How Does Clearing Work?
All you’ve ever wanted to know about clearing
If you’re confused by clearing, need help starting your higher education journey or want to rule on results day, we’re here to answer all your questions.
What is clearing?
If you’re looking to join us in September but have changed your mind about your chosen course or feel you haven’t got the results you need, you can still secure your place through clearing.
Clearing is how universities fill any places they still have on their courses. You can apply for a course using Clearing if you’re not already holding an offer from a university or college, and the course still has places.
You can go through clearing if:
- You have a UCAS undergraduate application with no offers (including if you have declined your firm choice, or not met the conditions of any existing offers).
- Your exam results have been published.
- You apply within the clearing dates for 2023 entry.
This year, clearing opens on Wednesday 5 July 2023 so read our handy step-by-step guide so you know what to expect.
Can I use clearing to study at UCEN Manchester?
Yes you can! The clearing process is really straightforward. Simply figure out what course you would be interested in doing and call our dedicated clearing hotline 0161 674 7777 to discuss it further with someone from our team.
Clearing at UCEN Manchester
We have over 1,500 current undergraduate students and more than 10,000 alumni – you’ll be in good company. Our degree programmes are validated by one of three top universities; Manchester Metropolitan University, Sheffield Hallam University or University of Huddersfield, or a major examining board. Our Higher Education courses are career focussed, shaped by employers and industry experts, and will give you the skills to open doors to unlimited opportunities.
When do I need to apply to clearing?
You can apply through clearing any time after clearing opens, however, we won’t be able to confirm your place until you have your exam results. Clearing remains open until October but keep in mind that many places will get filled quickly after results day.
Here at UCEN Manchester, we’ve put together a handy list of key dates and timelines so you know what to expect and when.
Key clearing dates:
- Wednesday 5 July 2023 - Clearing opens
- Thursday 17 August 2023 - A Level results are published.
- Tuesday 17 October 2023 - Clearing 2023 closes
I’ve heard about Clearing Plus – what is it?
Clearing Plus is a new service for students run by UCAS which matches you to relevant courses with vacancies. It has been designed to ensure you get to see the most appropriate course options for you via your online account.
Clearing will also still be available in the traditional way so check out our handy guides across this section to learn more about what to expect.
Remember that you can always visit our website to explore our wide range of qualifications.
How can I get ready for clearing?
From researching your chosen subject area and listing possible courses, to staying positive and remaining calm, we’ve put together some Top Tips to guide you through clearing.
However you choose to prepare, we’re happy to provide you with more information about what is on offer at UCEN Manchester to make sure we are the right fit for you.
How to apply through clearing
Depending on your circumstances, you can apply through clearing via UCAS or you can contact us and we’ll help you submit a direct application instead.
Read our full guide on how to apply through clearing.
What can I do to make results day go smoothly?
There are lots of things you can do to make sure you secure your dream course on results day including:
- reading our handy guides to know what to expect before the big day
- checking out our comprehensive Clearing FAQ page
- being clear about the course you want but having a few alternatives as well
- having any details to hand that you’ll need, such as phone numbers, exam results and your UCAS ID
- keeping calm when the phone lines open
- speaking to one of our friendly clearing team on 0161 674 7777 who’ll be able to talk you through your options.