Here is a list of our most frequently asked questions.

If you can't find what you are looking for, our Enquiries team will be happy to help.

You can contact them on enquiries@ucenmanchester.ac.uk or 03333 222 444.

We also have a dedicated Clearing FAQs page with helpful advice regarding the Clearing process.

Information for Parents/Guardians

Fresher’s Week takes place before the start of teaching so there is time to get to know the campus, the course and to find out more about UCEN Manchester. There will be a programme of Welcome Week activities which will include:

  • Enrolment
  • Induction Activity
  • Welcome talks from tutors and the Future U Support Team

All enrolment and induction information will be sent over summer so all students will have all the information they need before fresher’s week.

The first week of teaching will introduce students to their studies and the expectations of the programme. Please be reassured that there is support available and if you have concerns, please encourage your family member to access this support. Whatever stage of the journey you’re at, you’ll never be alone at UCEN Manchester. From the moment you start looking at courses with us, to after you’ve earned your qualifications and for as long as you need, we’re here to help. Click here for further information about our Future U Support Team.

The transition to higher education can be a big change and some students may initially struggle to adapt to a new style of learning. This is perfectly normal and nothing to panic about. In most cases a student will have been assigned a personal tutor.

A personal tutor enhances a student’s academic, personal and social development and is essential in ensuring that students make the most of their time at UCEN Manchester. Personal tutors acknowledge the student as a whole and consider both their academic and pastoral needs. Here at UCEN Manchester we aim to focus on skilled, professional conversations that explore, extend and enrich academic, personal and professional goals, yet offers a personalised, supportive consideration of students’ very busy lives outside of their academic community.

They provide two main forms of support: academic and pastoral.

Academic Support

Personal Tutors help students to reflect on their skills and experience, both within and outside of the curriculum, in an academic context and where appropriate, use this reflection to assist the student to formulate individual action plans and reviews. Personal Tutors can assist in discussing and translating assessment feedback so that improvements to work can be made.

Pastoral Support

Personal Tutors actively listen to students, providing encouragement and support as appropriate. Personal Tutors can also offer guidance and advice on the availability of appropriate support concerning study, disability, financial and other matters offered by UCEN Manchester or external services.

 This year, in addition to our usual support offer we’ll be running a summer school to help introduce applicants to our teaching and support teams, give them advice on how to make the most of their time in class and work effectively. Our students come from a diverse range of backgrounds and not everyone has come straight from school onto a degree. We know that for these students, some extra help around understanding processes, terminology, research and academic skills can go a long way to help their confidence when starting something new. And, we know that this year, those who’ve just finished their A Levels or college education may have had an extended period away from formal education, and might need to access this support too, to help them get back in the academic mind-set and prepare for their next steps. Our summer school provides sessions and resources for this and is open to all our applicants. Please note, this is provided completely free of charge and all sessions are optional.

Applicants will be advised of how to access this via email. We also send timely reminders of anything they may need to do like arranging accommodation, DSA or student finance throughout May and June.


All of the costs for our courses are available on our Fees and Finance page. If you’re considering an Access to HE course, you’ll find the information on our Access to HE Fees and Finance page.

There are a range of options for financial support that depend on your circumstances. You can find out more about what’s available in our Fees and Finance section. There is more detailed information available in the 'What Financial Support is Available' dropdown in the Higher Education Fees and Finance page, or if you’re considering an Access to HE course, check out our Access to HE Fees and Finance page.

You’ll find information on Student Finance, eligibility and how to apply in the 'Student Finance' section of the 'Tuition Fees' dropdown in the Higher Education Fees and Finance page.

If you are applying for student finance to study with us you will need to choose the ‘LTE Group’ (our parent organisation) from the list of universities/colleges.


Depending on whether you’re applying for a full or part-time course, the application process differs slightly. There’s a guide to applying for all of our courses on our How to Apply page

If you’re looking to study a full-time course with UCEN Manchester, you’ll need to apply through UCAS. You can find more information on how to do this on our Studying Full-Time page

If it’s a part-time course you’d like to study, you’ll need to apply via the UCEN Manchester application portal. You can find more information on this on our Studying Part-Time page.

We’d love to have you join us and we offer a range of flexible learning opportunities. There’s more information on our Studying Full-Time page if it’s full-time study you’re after. If it’s part-time you’re interested in, then visit our Studying Part-Time page.

There’s a run-down of everything you’ll receive from UCAS and how to respond on our Studying Full-Time page, or if you’ve applied for a part-time course through UCEN Manchester, then our Studying Part-Time page has more information.

Accepting an offer is simple and you can find out how to do it, as well as when we’ll confirm your place, here for full-time applicants and here for part-time applicants.

Each year, Clearing is available from early July to September. If you already have your exam results but don’t have any offers, you can use Clearing from July. If you had conditional offers but your exam results didn’t go to plan, you can use Clearing from results day, when vacancies will be listed on the UCAS website. There’s more information on our 'What is Clearing' section.

Course Information

What is the benefit of doing a one year HNC?

A higher national certificate (HNC) only takes one year to complete (or 2 years part-time) and is equivalent to a first year at University.  The HNC course is vocationally focused and can be used as a stepping stone to higher qualifications or to progress straight into employment.

What is the difference between a foundation degree and a bachelors degree?

A bachelor’s degree is the most common undergraduate qualification across the UK. The average duration of study for a bachelor’s degree is 3-4 years (full time) but for some courses this can last up to 7 years. A foundation degree combines workplace learning with academic studies and is equivalent to a HND. The average duration of study for a foundation degree is 2 years and many of the foundation courses are designed collaboratively with employers for a specific job role.

What is the difference between a foundation year and a foundation degree?

Despite having similar names, foundation years and foundation degrees aren't the same thing. A foundation year is an extra year of study before the start of a degree course. It help students, who don’t meet the entry requirements for their chosen degree, fill in their gaps before they go on to study their course. A foundation degree is a qualification in itself, equivalent to two years of university.

How do I top up my Foundation Degree to a Bachelor’s Degree?

While some students go straight into employment after finishing their foundation degree, you may wish to extend your studies to gain a full honours degree and graduate with a BSc (Hons) or BA (Hons). You can do this by applying for a one year Top-up degree. Depending on your subject, you may be able to study the Top-up with us, or at another institution if you want a new experience.  You can search and apply for top-up courses through the UCAS website.

How long does it take to study a Foundation degree and a BA Top Up year?

3 years, the same as a standard Bachelor’s degree.

Will I still receive student finance if I do a foundation degree and a top up degree?

Yes, you receive student finance for all higher education qualifications. All students receive a minimum of three years student finance support. For details of how to apply for student finance, please see the student finance website.


All of our open events are listed on our Events page, where you can register to attend. 

There are a range of events in our calendar across the year, from showcases of our students’ work to full-scale theatrical performances. We’ll regularly update the line-up on our Events page 

You can find out more about graduation on our dedicated Graduation page.

Student Life

Take a look at our Life in Manchester page to get an idea of what you can do in Manchester (you won’t be bored!).

Our Students’ Union members run a range of clubs and societies that are open to all students. Check out our Clubs and Societies page to find out more.

Each of our sites are equipped with a range of first-class technology, equipment and facilities to aid both your learning and general student experience. Find out what facilities our campuses have to offer on our Facilities page.

There are lots of reasons that UCEN Manchester could be the place for you to find your future. There’s more information about what you can expect on our Why Choose Us? page

We encourage all of our graduates to join our extensive alumni community. You can find out more information on how to do this in the Alumni section of the website. There will also be opportunities for you to sign up at your graduation ceremony.

Student Support

We work closely with Manchester Student Homes to bring you quality, safe rented houses with accredited landlords and a good mix of housemates. You’ll be able to choose from private rented houses and apartments, as well as private halls of residence. Everything you need to know about accommodation is on our dedicated Accomodation page.

Absolutely. We know juggling childcare with an education can be a challenging, time-consuming task – but it doesn’t have to be at UCEN Manchester. Find out about our on-site nurseries here.

We have a range of support available to help you during your time at UCEN Manchester. You can find out more about this on our Student Support page, and you can read about the support we offer students with disabilities on our Disability Support page.

Our dedicated Careers and Welfare team are here to support you at every step of your journey with UCEN Manchester. Each member of the team is fully qualified to offer guidance, support and welfare advice on a range of students. There’s more information available on our Student Support page.

Our careers advisors are highly qualified, Matrix-accredited professionals who are here to help you with your career path and plan. Find out more on our dedicated Careers Advice page.

Policies and Procedures

You’ll find all of our policies and procedures on our Policies page, and those of our awarding partners, on our Awarding Partners Policies & Procedures page.

If you’re considering leaving your course for any reason, the best course of action is to speak to our support team. Contact information is available on our Get in touch page. They’ll take you through all of the information, options and outcomes available to you. 

Got a Question?

Our teams are here to help, whatever your query.