Supporting You

Higher Education Fees and Finance

A pot full of pound coins

Course fees covers your teaching which is highly practical in nature as well as your access to in industry-standard facilities, equipment and software. In some cases, your course fees may also cover kit that you need as part of your course.

Fees pay our tutors, many of whom maintain links with or still work within industry part-time to ensure that you are learning the most up-to-date practices from experts in their field; and our smaller class sizes also mean more one-to-one support from tutors than some larger institutions, ensuring you are seen as an individual and helped to grow as one.

Your fees also contribute to our ongoing investment in students, including counselling support through and our estates plan, which includes ongoing campus redevelopments, including those at Openshaw Campus and City Campus Manchester.

Our full fees and finance policy can be found on our policies page.

If you are applying for student finance to study with us you will need to choose the ‘LTE Group’ (our parent organisation) from the list of universities/colleges.

What loans are available?

To cover your tuition fees, you’ll be able to get a dedicated Tuition Fee Loan that will cover the entire cost of your course, up to £9,250 per year. You won’t start paying this back until you’re earning over £27,295 a year, for courses starting in September 2021, with repayments based on your salary.

To help with living costs, you could also get a Maintenance Loan that will give you peace of mind affording accommodation, food and travel expenses.  The amount you can get will depend on where you live and study, with the maximum amount (based on study outside London, living on your own) of £9,488 available in a single year. If you are studying overseas as part of a UK course, maintenance loan support is still available up to £10,866 for 2021/22.

The loan is paid directly in your bank account each term and doesn’t have to be paid back until you have left university and are earning more than £27,295 a year.

Eligibility for student funding is dependent on your nationality, residency, previous study and the type of course you are applying for. Generally, most students applying for their first degree-level course will be eligible.

For anyone between the ages of 18 and 25, you’ll be expected to provide income details for your parent(s) or guardian(s), as you are classed as a dependent learner. You’ll apply online, and then your parents/guardians will be sent an email asking them to provide the necessary information.

If you’re living independently, don’t have a parent or guardian or are estranged, we can advise you on what to do next.

Estranged from your parents

Going to university as an independent student can be an intimidating process if you are estranged from your parents. The following guide will give you information about how your Student Finance application is assessed as an estranged student.

You can find out all the information you need on the government’s student finance webpages.

Additional financial support and bursaries

For students with disabilities, children and dependents, see section on extra support.

We are here to support you on your journey to an amazing career. So as well as all the amazing-award winning support you’ll get from Future U, we are ALSO giving you the chance to apply for an amazing finance package.

If you meet the eligibility criteria you may be supported with the following...

Achievers Scholarship

If you have achieved your Level 3 course with The Manchester College, we will support your transition to Level 4 with UCEN Manchester. You will receive a cash award paid into your bank account of up to £200.

This payment is automatic and based on enrolment, so you don’t need to make an application

Recognition Award

We understand that some students may need extra support so we have put in place a support package to make life a little easier while you are achieving your goals with UCEN Manchester. If eligible we will give you funds at the start of your studies with us and then when you are completing your time with UCEN Manchester we will ensure you are prepared for the world of work with:

  • Interview with our award-winning careers advisors
  • Cash award to help you make the transition from study to employment or further study

To be eligible to make an application for funds you must be registered on a full-time programme of study (or at least 60 credits if part-time) to apply and you must:

  • Have received your full entitlement of Student Loans
  • Have excellent attendance and commitment to studies (at least 87%)
  • Be fully enrolled with UCEN Manchester
  • Have a household income of less than £25,000pa
  • Be a Home Student


  • Be a Care Leaver OR
  • Been claiming benefits in the last six months OR
  • Have progressed from one of The Manchester College Level 3 courses


  • Have young children, still receiving benefits* OR
  • Be a caregiver for 30 hours or more per week OR
  • Have a disability/health condition and receiving support

To be successful, we reserve the right to check your attendance, achievement, and work submitted.

*benefits refer to any monies you receive from the Government such as Income Support, Universal Credits, or Housing Benefit because you look after a child or children.

You will receive £500 in your first year of study and then £250 for each subsequent year of study. You can download the application from the downloads section.

Access Fund

If you are struggling with finances or have a disability which means you have unexpected expenditures such as a DSA assessment for support, we have an Access fund available. We will assess your needs and make an award. Unfortunately, due to limited funds, we cannot make any awards exceeding £300 or payments in relation to debts or fines. In addition, we can include an additional £200 as an accomodation premium for thoes who need it, based on assessment. We can support you with finding support with debt via our Future U support teams.

You can download the application from the downloads section.

When completed, please return to the Careers and Welfare (Future U) team by email here.

Please be aware that funds are limited, and we reserve the right to discontinue as soon as funds are depleted.

Can I get any extra support?

The majority of these courses require tuition fees to be paid, but there’s lots of help to make sure you can afford your education and enjoy your time at UCEN Manchester without worrying about money. This includes loans for both the cost of the course and for living costs.

If you have any questions or concerns about finance and funding, then please do not hesitate to get in touch with our Careers, Employability and Welfare team, who’ll be able to help you understand all your available options.

Some of the extra support available, which can be found on the Student Finance England’s website are:

  • DSA
  • Childcare Allowance
  • Parents Learning Allowance
  • Adult Depends

For the UCEN Manchester Bursary details see the financial support section of this website.

Disability students’ allowance

This year, disability students’ allowances are changing. If you are or have been eligible for these, you can find out more information on our dedicated disability support page.

2021 to 2022 academic year

Undergraduate and postgraduate students can get up to £25,000 a year for support.

These figures are the maximum amounts - most students get less.

What DSA can pay for

You can get help with the costs of:

  • specialist equipment, for example a computer if you need one because of your disability
  • non-medical helpers, for example a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter or specialist note taker
  • extra travel to attend your course or placement because of your disability
  • other disability-related study support, for example having to print additional copies of documents for proof-reading
  • DSA does not cover disability-related costs you’d have if you were not attending a course, or costs that any student might have.
Buying a new computer

You may get a new computer if you’re assessed as needing one because:

  • you do not already have one
  • your current one does not meet your study needs.

When buying a new computer, you’ll need to pay the first £200. The DSA team will send you more information about this after your needs assessment.

Your ‘needs assessment’

Once your eligibility for DSA is confirmed, Student Finance England may ask you to contact an assessment centre to work out what help you need. This is known as a needs assessment. Do not book this until Student Finance England asks you to.

The assessment is paid for through any DSA entitlement you may have.

After the assessment, you’ll get a report listing equipment and other support you can get for your course.

Do not buy any equipment until you’ve been assessed - you will not be reimbursed for it.

How DSA is paid

Money is paid either into your bank account or directly to the organisation providing the service or equipment. You’ll find out how your support will be paid to you after your needs assessment.


2021 to 2022 academic year

You can get 85% of your childcare costs or a fixed maximum amount, whichever is less.

The maximum you can get is:

  • up to £179.62 a week for 1 child
  • up to £307.95 a week for 2 or more children


If your childcare for 1 child costs £100 a week you’ll get £85 - this is 85% of your costs.

If your childcare for 1 child costs £220 a week, you’ll get £179.62. This is because 85% of your costs is £187, which is above the maximum weekly amount.

You have to pay for any remaining costs.

Parents’ Learning Allowance

You may be eligible for help with your learning costs if you’re a full-time student with children. This is called Parents’ Learning Allowance.

How much you get depends on your household income.

The allowance:

  • does not have to be paid back
  • is paid on top of your other student finance
  • will not affect your benefits or tax credit
  • Depending on your household income, in the 2021 to 2022 academic year you could get between £50 and £1,821 a year. It’s usually paid in 3 instalments direct to your bank account, one at the start of each term.

Adult Depends

If you’re a full-time student in higher education and an adult depends on you financially, you can apply for an Adult Dependants’ Grant of up to:

  • £3,190 for the 2021 to 2022 academic year
  • £3,094 for the 2020 to 2021 academic year

The grant:

  • does not have to be paid back
  • is paid on top of your other student finance

You cannot get an Adult Dependants’ Grant if you’re getting a Postgraduate Loan.

The UK left the EU and free movement between the UK and the EU has ended. The UK’s new points-based immigration system applies and treats EU (other than Irish citizens) and non-EU citizens equally. Students who are nationals of EU (or EEA) countries (other than Irish citizens) who enter the UK after 31 December 2020 are not automatically eligible for funding and must be able to demonstrate that they are legally resident in the UK to be funded.

Note: If you are moving to the UK from an EU/EEA country, you will now require a Visa to study. Currently UCEN Manchester cannot accept any students with a student T4 visa.

EU Settlement Scheme

If you are resident in the UK and you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family members need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK beyond 30 June 2021. For more information and to apply, visit:

Or download this Government guide

Higher Education (courses from Level 4 to 6)

If you have started a 3-year degree or 2-year foundation degree, your current funding will not change. For one-year HNC or HND courses, we cannot guarantee the rules for EU students will remain the same for the 2021/2022 academic year.

All learners are required to pay the full fees due at enrolment (where assessed as a fee payer), unless electing payment by instalment as detailed in 5.3.1 of the HE Tuition Fees Policy. All learners must complete and sign the Learner Agreement stating that they accept liability for the full amount of fees due. In addition, the Learner Agreement limits UCEN Manchester’s liability in terms of losses suffered by learners in the event of UCEN Manchester breaking its agreement with the learner. 

All Advanced Learner Loan and Higher Education Loan students are required to complete a direct debit mandate at enrolment. Should the learner’s application for a loan not be approved by Student Finance England by 31 October for a standard academic year course, the direct debit will commence from November.

Confirmation invoices will be sent to all learners and/or sponsors, irrespective of payment method, by the end of the month following course commencement. Invoices will be customised to reflect the payment method indicated at enrolment and the associated terms. Appropriate adjustments will be made subsequently, as and when additional information becomes available. 

Learners who are experiencing financial difficulties in paying tuition fees should seek help at the earliest opportunity through our Careers and Welfare team.

Employer to pay

Where the employer is to pay the fees, they will be invoiced for 100% of all fees no later than 30 days following the date of enrolment (immediate payment terms).  

Learners must provide a signed letter on headed paper or a purchase order from their employer confirming support is available at enrolment before they are permitted to enrol via this method. 

Fee payment if no student finance

All other non-loan learners pay in full at the time of enrolment by cash, debit/credit card or cheque. An alternative payment method is available, as detailed in 5.3.1 of the HE Tuition Fees Policy, however, final payments have to be made before the earlier of the last day of the course or the end of May for academic year courses.

Unpaid fees

If outstanding fees are not paid by the due date(s), UCEN Manchester reserves the right to prevent learners from attending their programme(s) of study and/or preclude them from participating in relevant examinations/assessments, and/or withhold certificates and/or barring from graduation ceremonies. Where continuing learners haven’t settled outstanding fees by the end of the academic year in question, they will be prevented from re-enrolling on to the subsequent year of study via a finance block placed on the learner record in the student record system. This will be placed on instruction from the Finance Department. The finance block can only be subsequently removed on confirmation from the Finance Department.  

Learners who have taken a place on a course will be liable for their fees even if they choose to leave the course early. UCEN Manchester will pursue the outstanding debt and the services of an external Debt Recovery Agent will also be utilised. In turn, they will use all due legal processes to recover the debt for UCEN Manchester. In such cases, it is usual for interest and court costs to be added to the debt by the County Court.

A reduction or waiver in fees will be applied for learners if:

  • The College closes their class
  • The learner withdraws within the first two weeks of the commencement of the programme of study 
  • The learner withdraws after the first attendance confirmation, at which point they will be liable for the fee in accordance with section 5.2.1 in the HE Tuition Fees Policy
  • There are individual exceptional circumstances as approved by the Vice Principal
  • A complaint is upheld 

No refunds will be processed until there is confirmation that the original payment has been cleared in UCEN Manchester’s bank account. Refunds may take up to three weeks to process.

Waived fees

Where UCEN Manchester has waived tuition fees/examination fees/registration fees for any reason, learners will become liable for these fees if they fail to participate in the relevant examinations/assessments without just cause or do not maintain satisfactory attendance. UCEN Manchester reserves the right to recharge learners for the cost.

There is lots of extra information and advice available to help you understand student finance. You can always get in touch with us, or take a look at some of the tools below.

Student Finance Explained - watch this video to find out if you're eligible, how much you can claim and how to apply in this quick guide to student finance.

Student Finance Calculator – find out how much funding you could get.

The Student Room – get impartial advice, helpful tools and quick handy guides on all issues relating to student finance.

Student Finance England – watch these handy films on student finance, and get information on deadlines, useful tips and FAQs from Facebook and Twitter.

Repayment information – learn more about loan repayments, interest and how to repay from overseas.

Tuition Fees are reviewed annually, in line with increases in the cost of provision and with Government and funding body guidance, which is based on the RPI-X index, and are set as shown on the following link. Overseas/international students will be charged £9,000 per year for all courses.

Download our 2022/23 HE Tuition Fees

Download our 2023/24 HE Tuition Fees

Equivalent Level Qualifications

Home or EU (with settled or pre-settled status) students who have already completed a previous undergraduate programme of study will be classed as an Equivalent or Lower Qualification (ELQ) student. For students commencing courses after August 2012, this will not affect the level of tuition fees they are required to pay but they may not be eligible for any financial support. Tuition fees may be affected by previous study if the student falls into either of the following categories:

  • Students classified as either Home or EU with settled or pre-settled status for fee purposes and currently undertaking an undergraduate programme of study which is of a equivalent or lower level than a qualification already held.
  • Students classified as either Home, EU with settled or pre-settled status for fee purposes and undertaking a graduate taught programme of study which is of an equivalent or lower level than a qualification already held.

This does not apply to students, regardless of your year of entry, who are:

  • In receipt of Disabled Student's Allowance (DSA).
  • Wishing to undertake a graduate research programme of study.
  • Undertaking the Certificate in Education, Professional Graduate Certificate in Education and Postgraduate Certificate in Education or Postgraduate Diploma in Education.

Student Finance

For students intending to pay via a tuition fee loan from Student Finance England (SFE) and where learners’ assessments are pending, they will not be required to make a payment towards tuition fees when enrolling. If learners require assistance completing the SFE loan application, guidance can be provided by the UCEN Manchester Careers and Welfare team. Any learner who is not paying in cases where an assessment is pending or provisional are to be made aware of the Fee liability, as set out in 5.2.1 of the HE Tuition Fees Policy.  
All Higher Education Loan students are required to complete a direct debit mandate at enrolment. Should the learner’s application for a loan not be approved by SFE by 31 October, for a standard academic year course, the direct debit will commence from November. Instalments will be in line with 5.3.1 of the HE Tuition Fees Policy.
Where a learner is not in receipt of the full fee due from SFE (whether by financial assessments or application amount), the balance of fees is payable, as per section 5.3 of the HE Tuition Fees Policy.  

Fee Liabilities

The College’s policy in terms of fee liability mirrors the SLC methodology (except where an employer / sponsor pays the fees), whereby a learners total fee liability is determined by confirmation of attendance at three liability points during the academic year;  

Date of liability Fee Liability
Start date of term 1 25%
Start date of term 2 50%
Start date of term 3 100%

I'm From the EU

If you’re from the EU we can look at exactly what fees you’ll have to pay, as well as sources of funding that may be available. If you’re from the EU and have not lived in England for the five years prior to the start of the course, you might be subject to EU funding rules which may mean you can still receive the tuition fee loan.

Got a Question?

Our teams are here to help, whatever your query.