Manchester is more than just a city. It’s a hotbed of culture, music, film, theatre, sport and food. We love being here and we know you will too. It’s the perfect place to find your future as a UCEN Manchester student.

The city has a great public transport system, so you’ll have the pick of our lively districts to live in. Here at UCEN Manchester, we work closely with Manchester Student Homes to bring you quality, safe rented houses with accredited landlords and a good mix of housemates. You’ll be able to choose from private rented houses and apartments, as well as private halls of residence.

Manchester Student Homes offer a range of services such as contract checking, housing, advocacy and support. They have also set up a code of standards that all accredited landlords are required to sign up to.

You can search for accommodation on the Manchester Student Homes website.

They also have a handy message board where you can post or respond to messages regarding spare rooms in a student house or private halls.

Get involved with their House Hunting Talks and Accommodation Fairs that are taking place WC 8 November.

Manchester Student Homes have released the following information for student tenants in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic: read it here.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact Manchester Student Homes or Future U: Student Support Services.

House Hunting Information

Students in Manchester typically start looking for the next academic year’s accommodation around November and December.

There are several factors that students should take into account before making decisions on where and who to live with. This guidance will contain advice that is subject to national and local restrictions as well as leading practice information that shows the commitment of Manchester Student Homes (MSH) registered accommodation providers to protecting the safety of their tenants, their prospective tenants, the local community, themselves and their staff.

MSH can help students find University Approved Accommodation that have been checked and meet our Code of Standards. They provide FREE information, advice and guidance on housing and also carry out contract checks.

What are the things you need to know before looking for your first property?

  • How big is your group?
  • What kind of accommodation are you looking for? A shared house, flat or private halls?
  • Where do you want to live? City Centre, Victoria Park or areas like Fallowfield or Withington?
  • What is your budget? Does it include or exclude bills?
  • How far are you willing to walk, cycle or get the bus?

MSH would recommend the following tips during house hunting:

Take your time

It is important to take your time and ensure that you have carried out the research on the type of property, the landlord/ letting agent, rental price, the contract and the housemates. Try and look at as many properties as possible to ensure that you have a clear idea on the type of properties available.

Consider who you will be living with

Carefully consider and select who you think that you can live with for extended periods of time. It is best to discuss and agree housing issues such as house rules, cleaning rota and how the bills will be split.

Viewing and reviewing properties safely

Landlords and letting agents should ensure they are supporting student tenants by carrying out viewings safely whilst maintaining social distance. Your safety should be the first priority and we would recommend that you ask for virtual or live viewings in order to minimise the risk.

It may be useful to request that the viewings are carried out via FaceTime, WhatsApp or Zoom video call with a resident tenant of the property. This could provide the additional benefit of asking questions of the current tenants who will most likely give you an honest report on the property and the type of support the landlord provides.

If the viewings must be carried out in person, and any member of either the household viewing or undertaking the viewings are showing symptoms of coronavirus or are self-isolating then the physical viewing MUST be delayed.

All viewings should take place by appointment and only involve members of a single household. Any visits to a property must be made in accordance with government guidelines.

The landlord or letting agent may require you to complete a Covid-19 health questionnaire, in order to manage and limit risk.

Further information and guidance on carrying out viewings can be found here.

Check your contract with MSH

The tenancy agreement is a legally binding document that is for a fixed period of time. Therefore after signing they can be extremely difficult to cancel or be released from. MSH provides a contract checking service that is free. This will support you with any queries and help in identifying any abnormalities that you should be aware of.

Is your deposit in a protection scheme?

Deposits are there to cover non-payment of rent and any damage to the property. Landlords are required by law to protect a tenant’s deposit in a government registered scheme. Students should receive a letter confirming the details of where the deposit is protected and how to release the funds at the end of the tenancy.

If you have any housing queries please email them at or call them on 0161 275 7680.

You have signed into a legally binding contract for a fixed period, you can speak to your accommodation provider to see if they will defer the contract. However, this would most likely mean that your contract would end at a later date.

MSH will be running their annual Accommodation Fairs virtually this year to allow you to meet accredited accommodation providers. To find out more visit their Accommodation Fair page or their Facebook page.

There are some things you should consider before speaking to landlords/ agents / private hall management teams:

  • How big is your group/ do you want your group to be
  • How much you want to spend per week
  • Do you want an en-suite room or a shared accommodation
  • How far are you willing to travel/ walk
  • Are you/ Is someone willing to manage your own bills? If not, a bills inclusive may be an option

A Top Tips and a Viewing Checklist is available to view here.

House Hunting session is to support students with their property search in the private sector. Manchester Student Homes (MSH) will be hosting virtual House Hunting Talks where students can ask questions specific to their search at the end.

The Housing Caseworker will discuss a number of topics including, but not limited to, the following:

  • Where to begin with accommodation search
  • Different Types of Accommodation
  • Viewings in 2020/2021
  • Tenancy Agreements
  • Deposits

If you are interested in attending one of the House Hunting Talks please email your interest along with your full name, institution of study (if you are using your personal email) and student number to up to one hour before the event.

Manchester Student Homes (MSH) is a department of the University that work with a number of accommodation providers in and around Manchester. Students can search on their website to find accommodation that suits their needs, including houses, flats, studios and Private Halls of Residence.

We are pleased to hear that a number of Approved Accommodation Providers have already considered the impact of Covid-19 and the flexibility that students require in order to plan than subsequently sign into a legally binding contract with confidence. These Accommodation Providers have implemented additional clauses to their contracts to increase flexibility in order to adhere to student needs, and provide the support and care students require during this difficult period.

Currently there are 91 properties, owned by individual Landlords and Private Halls, totalling thousands of rooms that are offering the Coronavirus Amendment Policy, with this number increasing with each day. Flexibility will vary between accommodation providers but the information will be readily available on the MSH website.

We understand that you and your friends may be excited in searching for next year’s student house. Currently the Government has not restricted viewings or house moves but landlords and estate agents may be reluctant or unwilling to conduct physical viewings because people should not be meeting anyone outside their household. Students’ safety is the first priority of our accredited accommodation providers. You should use virtual viewings before visiting properties in person where possible, in order to minimise public health risks. We understand that there are situations where physical viewings may be necessary.

Find out what to do by visiting Manchester Student Homes’ information and top tips on viewings page.

Manchester Student Homes (MSH) is a department of the University that work with a number of accommodation providers in and around Manchester. Students can search on their website to find accommodation that suits their needs, including houses, flats, studios and Private Halls of Residence.

Currently there is short term accommodation available however they will be for the first semester/ autumn term. Short term accommodation for a January (or later) move in will become available at the end of October/ beginning of November.

You can search for short term properties as follows:

  • Visit
  • Click on ‘Short Let’
  • Review the list of results and ensure that the ‘available’ date fits your criteria

Please email us on with your requirements if you cannot find what you are looking for.

A tenancy agreement is a legally binding -contract and all tenants are obliged to its terms until the end of the fixed period. To avoid any contractual breaches there are a couple of things you should make sure to do. These are as follows:


  1. Inform the other tenants (not applicable to those on an individual contract)
  2. Inform your accommodation provider.
  3. Seek an alternative tenant by advertising on Manchester Student Homes’ Message Board and posting on Manchester Student Homes’ Facebook page.
  4. Once an alternative tenant has been found, contact the accommodation provider and the tenants to arrange for a transfer of names to occur.
  5. Ensure that your name has been removed from the tenancy.


Note: The replacement tenant must be accepted by all parties (where applicable) involved in the contract. If a replacement tenant is not found you are still liable for the contractual obligations (including rent) of the tenancy.


You are welcome to post as many messages as you like and in more than one section of the Manchester Student Homes’ Message Board. In the message you should include detail such as:


  • Whether it is a house or a Private Hall
  • The number of tenants the house/flat accommodates
  • How much the room is
  • Whether or not bills are included in the rent
  • Location of the property
  • Facilities
  • Distance from the city or key locations
  • Time it takes to get to the locations mentioned
  • Your contact number (if you prefer)

It will be beneficial for you to reply to existing posts where students are looking for accommodation.

Tenants are legally protected by Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977. There is a legal duty on the accommodation provider to take reasonable care of the goods until they are returned to their owner, they also have a responsibility to protect and keep secure any belongings that have been left in a property. If an accommodation provider sells or disposes of the goods without taking the correct steps the tenant could advance a civil claim against them.

In scenarios where accommodation providers believe that belongings have been abandoned, with no intention from the tenant to collect them, they should ensure to receive express consent from the tenant before disposing of belongings. Accommodation providers should be able to demonstrate that several attempts were made to contact the tenant and a reasonable period of time had lapsed before disposing of the goods.

Tenants should liaise with their accommodation provider and housemates regarding plans for packing belongings in a reasonable time limit. This is also to ensure that there is enough space for tenants, and their family, to collect belongings whilst continuing to social distance. Please ensure that communications are detailed in writing and any telephone conversations are followed up with written confirmation (this should be standard practice for any dealing with your accommodation provider).

Tenants who have been repatriated to their home country or do not intend to return to Manchester will need to seek assistance from their accommodation provider, housemates and/or friends in the city. Personal belongings should be organised, packed and shipped to the tenant’s overseas or UK address. It should be noted that although the accommodation provider is obliged to secure a tenant’s personal belongings, it is not for an extended period and there may be storage and ultimately removal costs involved. Tenants should liaise with their ‘packer’ and arrange for the shipper to collect packed items at a convenient time.

Got a question?

Our teams are here to help, whatever your query.