Where to live as a student in Manchester
Where you choose to stay might depend on the campus you’re studying at. We work with Manchester Student Homes, an accommodation service who are able to help you find the best place to live whilst studying.
While we don't have halls of residence on site, our partnership with Manchester Student Homes means you can access their services and accredited accommodation. Manchester Student Homes has accredited halls of residence and private landlords on their scheme that cover areas across Manchester City Centre, South Manchester, Salford and Trafford.
Visit Manchester Student Homes
How to travel around Manchester
There are several city-wide initiatives to help students get across Manchester using public transport at either a discounted price or for free.
- Free buses run around the city every 10-15 minutes on weekdays and every 15-20 minutes on weekends. Explore free bus routes.
- Choosing a combined Train and Tram Ticket allows you to travel free on Metrolink trams in the city zone if you have bought a rail ticket for travel from any Greater Manchester station to a city zone station -just request a Metrolink add-on free of charge when purchasing your rail ticket. Find out more.
- Save 1/3 on rail tickets when you purchase a yearly railcard (£30 for a year or £70 for 3 years)
- Student Railcard (16-25)
- 26-30 Railcard
- Explore all railcards including those for Veterans and Disabled Persons
Select the campus you will be studying at below for more information about travelling to our sites.
City Campus Manchester
City Campus Manchester is our brand-new campus in the heart of Manchester and is home to all of our creative and digital courses.
The campus is located right next to Manchester Arena and is very accessible by public transport:
- Manchester Victoria Station (5 min walk)
- Manchester Piccadilly Station (25 min walk)
- Piccadilly Gardens Bus Interchange (20 min walk)
- Shudehill Bus Interchange (13 min walk)
Most students live in Central or South Manchester; it is a short bus ride to City Campus Manchester.
The following accredited halls are the closest to the this campus:
Travelling around the city centre
TfGM operates a free bus service around the city centre. This free service offers three route options, two of which operate via Manchester Victoria Station, meaning you can take Free Bus 2 and 3 from various locations around the city and walk to City Campus Manchester from Manchester Victoria Station.
The free bus service departs from Manchester Piccadilly Station via Station Approach every day and stops at numerous locations around the city. All buses are wheelchair accessible. Free Bus 2 takes approximately 12 minutes from Piccadilly Train Station to Victoria Train Station and could be a good option if your commuting in from here.
Our Metrolink tram system offers an ideal way to get around the city and you can also use it to explore areas beyond the city centre.
It’s worth noting that if you travel into Manchester by train, your train ticket allows you to use the Metrolink for free inside Zone 1. If you need to purchase a tram ticket, you can do this on the platform itself using a ticket machine or the contactless smart readers.
The closest tram stop to City Campus Manchester is Manchester Victoria Station.
Travelling to City Campus from surrounding areas
Check out the travel times and routes to City Campus from the different areas that Manchester Student Homes provides accommodation:
Travel from Ardwick
Travel from Chorlton-upon-Medlock
Travel from Didsbury
Travel from Fallowfield
Travel from Levenshulme
Travel from Longsight
Travel from Manchester City Centre
Travel from Rusholme
Travel from Sale
Travel from Salford
Travel from Victoria Park
Travel from West Didsbury
Travel from Whalley Range
Travel from Withington
Openshaw Campus is located just outside Manchester City Centre and is accessible by public transport.
- Ashburys Station (15 min walk)
- Velopark Metrolink Stop (22 min walk)
- Ashton Old Road Bus Stop (2 min walk)
Shena Simon Campus
Shena Simon Campus is located in Manchester City Centre and is very accessible by public transport.
- Manchester Piccadilly Station (5 min walk)
- Manchester Victoria Station (20 min walk)
- Piccadilly Gardens Bus Interchange (6 min walk)
- Shudehill Bus Interchange (15 min walk)
Need more information?
Whatever stage of the journey you’re at, you’ll never be alone at UCEN Manchester.
From the moment you start looking at courses with us, to after you’ve earned your qualifications and for as long as you need, our Future U Support Team are here to help.
Get in touch with a member of the team by emailing email@example.com or calling us on 03333 222 444 and asking for a member of Careers and Welfare.