The Students’ Union (SU) is run by students, for students, and is here to support you. It provides fantastic opportunities for you to meet new people, get involved with campaigns and events and aims to makes your time with us even more enjoyable.
The SU is not a physical location. It is something you can join in with and be a part of at every campus.
Introducing your new SU President, Maryanne Letham
Hello everyone, I am Maryanne your new Students’ Union President and I am excited to begin my first term. I am a BA (Hons) Network Security with Penetration Testing graduate from the Openshaw campus at UCEN Manchester. My journey began as a student 3 years ago where in my first year I was voted to take over as Student Representative for my class. In my final year, I applied and was selected to be the Core Representative for the Computing department which involved collating feedback from students within the Computing and Business department, working closely with the student voice co-ordinator and staff members from the facility. I started working as a paid Student Advocate, supporting the staff by going to schools, colleges, universities, and UCAS fairs to promote Higher Education and UCEN Manchester.
It is a privilege to be able to be the new SU President and continue the work that was started by Sam Lowe, your previous SU President, in building up your Students’ Union.
I would encourage everyone to get involved. Your time as a student will fly by, believe me. There are many ways for you to get involved: join social societies, or start up a new one, volunteer, help in our campaigns, and take part in events that will be taking place on our campuses.
This year, I am looking forward to developing societies, continuing the campaign on anti-single use plastic, working towards better mental health awareness for all, and meeting students whether that be online or face to face once campuses reopen.
I look forward to hearing from you. Feel free to drop by at one of our Drop-Ins, email The Students’ Union, contact us over our SU social media, or just say hi in person if you would like a chat.
Introducing your new SU Vice President, Nela Blinkhorn
Hello! I’m Nela, an Animation and Motion Graphics HND student at Fielden Campus. This is my second year at UCEN Manchester. I was a Student Rep for my course last year, which helped me gain confidence in sharing my voice but also listening to and understanding the opinions of other students. This year I’m getting even more involved in finding out what students want and need, and I will be supporting the SU President in making sure the Students’ Union is what you want it to be. I aim to focus on student mental health and what the SU can do to help. I believe in good communication to solve any problems which arise and wish to encourage feedback and opinions from any and every one of you. This is about your student life, your well-being, and your experience at college. Let me know what we can do for you!
Become a Students’ Union Officer
SU Officers: meet your current officers or become one yourself! Each spring, the SU advertises for new SU Officers. Contact your SU President, Maryanne Letham and Vice- President, Nela Blinkhorn, to be kept in the loop about elections and to learn more about each Officers role.
- Join in a society or create your own: Creative Networking Society and more. Don’t see one you like? Start your own! Funding is available to get you started.
- Take part in a campaign: such as the Anti-Single-Use-Plastic-Free Campus Campaign, or build your own
- Email SU@ucenmanchester.ac.uk for more information and join us on social media
Contact The Students’ Union: SU@ucenmanchester.ac.uk
How to get involved in your SU
There are lots of ways to get involved with your SU, including:
- Register your interest by following our social media and emailing us.
- Write a piece for the student newsletter or an article for the SU Bee Blog.
- Join the SU leadership team, in one of the role available:
- Finance Officer
- Welfare Officer
- Sports and Activities Officer
- Communications and Campaigns Officer
- Equality and Diversity Officer
- Employability and Enterprise Officer
- Create a campaign for change – e.g. single use plastics campaign
- Attend NUS Conferences
- Volunteer at SU activities - we partner with organisations around Manchester to give you opportunities to get involved in community projects
- Join a society or sports team. Find people with similar likes and interests as you by following the SU social media pages on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, or by emailing SU@ucenmanchester.ac.uk
- Become the next SU President
How can I become an SU Officer or the next SU President?
SU Officers and the SU President carry out important work throughout the year, celebrating successes and building on developments in collaboration with, and on behalf of, our students.
If you are interested in becoming an Officer, or the future President, email: SU@ucenmanchester.ac.uk for more information.
Shop to support the SU
The Students’ Union at UCEN Manchester is pleased to announce the launch of a brand new online shop.
Students and staff can now shop a wide selection of high quality products in bright colours, including hoodies, jumpers, shorts, bags, shirts, scarfs and bags, which can be personalised with additional text.
Each product can display either UCEN Manchester or The Students’ Union (SU) logo. You can browse the wide range of products on a dedicated web page.