The Students’ Union (SU) is run by students, for students, and is here to support you. It provides fantastic opportunities for you to meet new people, get involved with campaigns and events and aims to makes your time with us even more enjoyable.
The SU is not a physical location. It is something you can join in with and be a part of at every campus.
Introduction to your SU President, Sam Lowe
Hi everyone, I’m Sam and I’m a BA Hons Theatre and Performance graduate from Nicholls Campus, at The Arden School of Theatre.
I am really excited to be your SU President, as this is my second year in post. SU Presidents can run for a maximum of two years…so keep your eyes peeled for your next Presidency elections in spring, you may even want to become an SU Officer yourself!
My journey began as a Fresher who became a Student Rep, voicing my feedback about my academic and social experience as a student. I then started working as a paid Student Advocate, going into schools, colleges and fairs to promote UCEN Manchester.
I also volunteered as a writer for the student newsletter and HE: Bee – the student blog, reviewing internal theatre performances and attending committees on behalf of the student body. The SU Executive give class talks and sometimes host Drop-Ins in the SU areas, so come and meet us.
It is something you can join in with and be a part of at every campus. We represent students’ views and academic interests. The SU is still developing in its infancy and making great progress.
Contact The Students’ Union: SU@ucenmanchester.ac.uk
How to get involved in your SU
There are lots of ways to get involved with your SU, including:
- Register your interest by following our social media and emailing us.
- Write a piece for the student newsletter or an article for the SU Bee Blog.
- Join the SU leadership team, in one of the role available:
- Finance Officer
- Welfare Officer
- Sports and Activities Officer
- Communications and Campaigns Officer
- Equality and Diversity Officer
- Employability and Enterprise Officer
- Create a campaign for change – e.g. single use plastics campaign
- Attend NUS Conferences
- Volunteer at SU activities - we partner with organisations around Manchester to give you opportunities to get involved in community projects
- Join a society or sports team. Find people with similar likes and interests as you by following the SU social media pages on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, or by emailing SU@ucenmcr.tmc.ac.uk
- Become the next SU President
How can I become an SU Officer or the next SU President?
SU Officers and the SU President carry out important work throughout the year, celebrating successes and building on developments in collaboration with, and on behalf of, our students.
If you are interested in becoming an Officer, or the future President, email: SU@ucenmcr.tmc.ac.uk for more information.
Shop to support the SU
The Students’ Union at UCEN Manchester is pleased to announce the launch of a brand new online shop.
Students and staff can now shop a wide selection of high quality products in bright colours, including hoodies, jumpers, shorts, bags, shirts, scarfs and bags, which can be personalised with additional text.
Each product can display either UCEN Manchester or The Students’ Union (SU) logo. You can browse the wide range of products on a dedicated web page.