Access to Higher Education Diploma
Leaflet Code: L6878
Are you considering a career in nursing, midwifery, or other health-related professions? The Access to HE Diploma (Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professions) is tailored for adults returning to education aiming for university study.
Whether you lack formal qualifications, seek to boost your confidence after a hiatus from education, or contemplate a career change, this diploma equips you for higher education.
Equivalent to three A Levels, the Access to HE Diploma cultivates academic knowledge and skills essential for higher education. The rigorous program demands high motivation, dedication, and a positive learning attitude for success.
The curriculum covers Biology, Psychology, and Sociology modules. Three study modes are available:
• Distance Learning: Ideal for those with commitments, it provides online resources and tutor guidance, requiring only a computer and WiFi to begin your journey.
• Evening: Combining various delivery methods, it prepares you for university study, with weekly face-to-face sessions at our Openshaw campus for those who require a little more support than our distance learning mode.
• Day: All units are taught on site at Openshaw Campus, this program offers direct face-to-face teaching.
Moreover, developmental units enhance academic skills, crucial for university readiness. Assistance in completing UCAS applications, crafting personal statements, and securing academic references is provided. However, completing the Access to HE Diploma doesn't guarantee university admission; it's your responsibility to ensure your UCAS application meets current entry requirements for chosen university courses.
For entry on to the Access to HE Diploma (Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professions) you need to have achieved and have official evidence (e.g. certificates) of either:
• GCSE grade C/4 or above in English and maths (we will also accept IELTS at 6.5 or above with no aspect under 6.0 in place of GCSE English)
• Functional skills Level 2 in English and maths may be considered.
• Any combination of the above but must include both English and maths e.g. GCSE C English Language and Functional Skills Level 2 maths
You will also complete an initial assessment and an informal interview as part of the application process. If we feel that you are not quite ready for the Access to HE Diploma we may offer you a place on our Pre-Access course (Level 2) which will help you to prepare for level 3 study whilst studying English and maths qualifications alongside.
A range of assessment methods will be used to assess your progress throughout the academic year. These include essays, reports, short answer questions and presentations.
All assessments are designed to support you in preparing for study at university.
Depending on your circumstances, you may need to pay tuition fees for this Access to Higher Education Diploma.
There are a number of different funding and finance options to help you afford your tuition at The Manchester College, with dedicated support from the government, bursaries and grants, and special loans to cover any tuition fees.Learn more