Leaflet Code: CR26774FT
This is the course for those wanting to bring their own creative ideas, skills and passion for dance and performance to a constantly changing industry. For the technically versatile and imaginative dancers, choreographers and teachers.
This practically led course aims to equip you with the technical, creative, collaborative, and entrepreneurial skills to be able to work in a wide variety of dance and performance contexts. Amongst other things, you will; develop your versatility as a dancer and technical skills in a range of contemporary, commercial and jazz dance genres, perform in shows, create dance, learn how to teach, develop a portfolio including a professionally filmed showreel, undertake yearly masterclasses with visiting choreographers and directors, and also create and perform in your own festival.
Belinda Grantham – PhD Candidate, course leader, lecturer, freelance choreographer, yoga/aerial teacher, piano teacher, dance artist and national dance and performing arts standards verifier.
Tomas Simon MA – PhD Candidate, Lecturer, Commercial Choreographer working internationally.
Sandro Franchini MA – Lecturer in Contemporary, Jazz and Heels. Dance Artist, Choreographer.
Nicola Rowell – Lecturer in Jazz Dance.
Natalie Maloney – Lecturer in Dance and Freelance Fitness Instructor.
Matthew Garret – Lecturer in Tap Dance.
Adele Inglis – Sessional Lecturer in Commercial Dance. Freelanec Performer and Choreographer.
Cameron Ashall – Lecturer in Singing.
Briget Uzodinma – Sessional Lecturer in Acting
Julia Maden – Sessional Lecturer in Acting
Paul Plumpton – Sessional Acrobatics Teacher.
• 96 UCAS tariff points
• We strongly recommend that all applicants have GCSE English Language and Mathematics grades A*-C or level 9-4.
• If English is not your first language, you will need an IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 5.5 in all skills, or equivalent.
• Full level 3 qualification
In order to assess your potential as a performer all applicants at The Arden are required to audition. Each course has its own unique way of auditioning in order to ensure we see your full potential at audition. For a more detailed overview of our audition processes on our programmes please click here <a href='https://thearden.ucenmanchester.ac.uk/about/auditioning/'>Click Here</a>
Commercial Dance (20 credits)
Contemporary Dance (20 credits)
Contextualising Dance Practices (20 credits)
Dance Techniques (20 credits)
Theatre Craft (20 credits)
Theatre Dance (20 credits)
Performances, technique sharings, presentations and creative portfolios will be used to assess your learning for 80% of the course.
There other 20% will take the form of professional discussions, written applications, research proposals and essays. Students will be required to write one academic essay per year.
There are two main costs you will have whilst studying and if you are a home student studying on a full-time course, you can apply for student finance to cover both of these:
• Your tuition fees for each year of your course.
• Help with your living costs e.g. rent, food, clothing, course materials, entertainment.
You can find more details, including the actual tuition fee charged on our Fees, Funding and Finance Page.
All of the books required for the course are available from the library. However, many students choose to buy some of the core textbooks for the course and/or a laptop. Students may also need to print their assignments and other documents. Campus printing costs start from 5p per page. Estimated costs are £300 for a laptop up to £100 each year for books and printing.
• You are required to buy tap shoes, ballet shoes, trainers for commercial, and jazz shoes at a cost of between £20 and £60 each depending on the brand.
• You are required to have black trousers, tights, leggings, Leotard, crop top and dance shorts. These cost between £10 and £40 per item, and they may need to be replaced each year.
• For second year a DBS may be required, and this costs about £65. This DBS will be for community and educational projects.
• You will need to purchase digital storage device upto 1TB at an approximate cost of £50
• In the third year there is the option for you to undertake fire and body burning workshops and this costs £60