Teacher Education

Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (Lifelong Learning)

Certificate of Education (CertEd)
Leaflet Code: CR60061PT


Are you passionate about starting or developing a career in teaching and learning? Progress your skills in the lifelong learning sector, and pursue a successful career teaching in a college, training provider, charity, prison, school or specialist school, with this ideal qualification.

Throughout the course, you’ll look at several areas that will each help you achieve your goal of becoming a teacher. You’ll develop your personal and professional skills as you learn about teaching, learning and curriculum development. You’ll also focus on your subject specialist area, putting a significant amount of your learning into practice in your place of work.

This Level 5 course is an award of the University of Huddersfield and is an ideal route for you to work towards being a fully qualified teacher and to help you to gain the full professional status for teachers in Lifelong Learning (QTLS). If you hold a first degree or equivalent you should refer to one of our PGCE programmes.

  • Shena Simon Campus
  • Part Time
  • 2 years
  • September 2023

You’ll be taught by a team of experienced teacher educators with a wealth of knowledge from the education sector.

Our whole team regularly update their knowledge and skills, with strong links to The University of Huddersfield. All staff have or are working towards higher level Master’s and Doctorate qualifications in Education.

You’re required to attend an interview, including a literacy assessment and short presentation, and should provide two satisfactory references and evidence of your existing qualifications.

You should ideally be in employment as a teacher or trainer at a recognised training or educational establishment. The course is particularly suitable if you have work experience and/or qualifications in industry, including business and administration, hair and beauty, health and social care, uniformed services or armed forces, construction, engineering and many other vocational areas.

You should identify a work-based mentor who can support you in your subject specialism.

You should have 100 hours of teaching practice in place, to run across the duration of the course. Employed volunteer teachers are required to arrange their own teaching placements as this is an in-service course.

Mature applicants (aged 21 or over) who are able to demonstrate relevant skills or knowledge gained in employment or vocational activity will be considered and may be invited to interview.

Year 1: Research-informed teaching, learning and assessment (30 credits)
This module develops your understanding of how people learn in the lifelong learning sector and of the role of assessment in enabling learning and achievement. It introduces theories and principles of learning and assessment and develops your ability to apply research evidence in designing effective learning and assessment strategies and materials. It develops positive approaches to the management of group and individual behaviours and promotes and inclusive approach to teaching, learning and assessment. It introduces the role of key transferable skills and the ways in which people learn English, maths and digital skills.

Year 2: Becoming A Subject Specialist Teacher (60 credits)
Build on both your generic and subject specialist developments to enhance teaching for students, supported by practical teaching experience, evaluation and feedback. You’ll also attend a two-day specialist conference at The University of Huddersfield where you will present your specialist conference paper to your peers.

The course is run in a classroom environment, allowing you to share your ideas and reflections with your peers. You’ll receive tutorial support and sessions focused on wider areas in lifelong learning throughout your course. In addition, you’ll need to complete at least 50 hours of teaching per year.

Examples of assessments on the course include:
• Micro teach to peers
• Personal skills presentation
• Written assignments including essays, reports and reflective journals
• Reflective journals and accounts of your teaching
• Online personalised portfolio identifying skills development and areas to improve
• Teaching observations, evaluations and reflections
• Specialist conference paper supported by an online subject specialist tutor
• Self and peer assessment

There are two main costs you will have whilst studying and if you are a home student studying on a full-time course, you can apply for student finance to cover both of these:

 Your tuition fees for each year of your course.
 Help with your living costs e.g. rent, food, clothing, course materials, entertainment.

You can find more details, including the actual tuition fee charged on our Fees, Funding and Finance Page.

Learn more

All of the books required for the course are available either from the library or as e-books. However, many students choose to buy some of the core textbooks for the course and/or a laptop. You may also need to print assignments and other documents.

Campus printing costs start from 5p per page.

Estimated costs are £300 for a laptop and up to £50 each year for books and printing

There is a requirement to attend a two-day specialist conference at The University of Huddersfield in year 2 of the course, so you will need to factor in travel expenses and accommodation expenses if you intend to stay overnight

As an employed volunteer teacher you may also need to factor in travel costs to your place of work

You will be required to have an enhanced DBS check for this course to ensure you meet our safeguarding requirements

All students are subject to UCEN Manchester’s Terms and Conditions from the date they accept an offer to study here, full details of which can be found here. The UCEN Manchester Admissions Policy and Procedure can be found here.