Aimed at the professional development needs of teachers or trainers in Further, Higher, Adult and Secondary Education, or those who work in teaching roles within other sectors such as health care and uniformed services, this BA (Hons) degree in Education and Professional Development will enhance your knowledge in critical reflection, policy and practice, and research and academic scholarship.

Throughout the course, you’ll learn a range of different perspectives, academic disciplines and sustainable practices to help you develop the reflexive experiences and approaches needed to shape and influence policy in the future, meeting and responding to the needs of learners, employers and organisations.

This course is particularly suitable for anyone wishing to progress from a Certificate in Education to obtain an undergraduate degree. It’s primarily delivered via an innovative ‘blended learning' style which combines face-to-face Saturday day schools at The University of Huddersfield and creative on line activities with both individual and collaborative study. You will be further supported by evening tutorial sessions at The Manchester College.

Fielden Campus
Part Time
2 years
September 2021
Awarding Partner:
University of Huddersfield
You’ll be taught by a team of experienced teacher educators from UCEN, The University of Huddersfield and by others from the wider University of Huddersfield Education and Training Consortium.

Our whole team regularly update their knowledge and skills, with strong links to The University of Huddersfield. All staff have or are working towards higher level Master’s and Doctorate qualifications in Education.

• Certificate in Education (Cert Ed) or Level 5 teaching, training or education qualification, or a Foundation Degree from The University of Huddersfield.
Mature applicants (aged 21 or over) who are able to demonstrate relevant skills or knowledge gained in employment or vocational activity will be considered and may be invited to interview.

You should have at least two years teaching or training experience and be in an educational or training role.

Following initial application, all applicants will be required to construct a personal statement. The statement provides candidates with additional entry credit for the two year programme and is, therefore, a compulsory element; admission to the course cannot be offered until the statement is received. Guidance as regards the statement completion will be issued on receipt of the initial application.

Year 1: Advanced Professional Practice (30 credits)

Year 1: Critical Education (30 credits)

Year 1: Improving Teaching and Learning (30 credits)

Year 2: Major Study (40 credits)

Year 2: Reflective Study (30 credits)

Year 2: Research Methodolodogies (20 credits)
Avis, J, Fisher, R and Thompson, R (2010) Teaching in Lifelong Learning : A Guide to Theory and Practice
Assessments vary and include essays, presentations, poster presentations, reports and a major empirical study.

You'll also have a personal tutor who'll be assigned to you throughout your course to support your ongoing wellbeing and ensure that you have a positive learning experience.

We work in partnership with The University of Huddersfield and colleges across the country to provide tuition and supervision for your work-based projects, so you should be able to study with us wherever you live or work.

In the first module of the course you will evaluate your professional goals and areas of interest and use these to inform your experience on the BA programme. The remaining Year 1 modules provide opportunity for you to critique your practice, develop an intervention to use within your teaching, as well as to advance your knowledge of pedagogy and educational theory.

In Year 2 of your studies you will focus on a particular area of interest and challenge in your practice and address this through the design and application of a research study. The final module of the course provides opportunity for you to demonstrate your understanding of theories relating to reflective practice, as well as to reflect upon your own professional development over the process of the course.
With a BA/BA (Hons) you can achieve promotion or move into different areas of education and professional development.
There are two main costs you will have whilst studying and if you are a home student studying on a full-time course, you can apply for student finance to cover both of these:

 Your tuition fees for each year of your course.
 Help with your living costs e.g. rent, food, clothing, course materials, entertainment.

You can find more details, including the actual tuition fee charged on our Fees, Funding and Finance Page.

Learn more
All of the books required for the course are available either from the library or as e-books. However, many students choose to buy some of the core textbooks for the course and/or a laptop. You may also need to print assignments and other documents.

Campus printing costs start from 5p per page.

Estimated costs are £300 for a laptop and up to £50 each year for books and printing

There is a requirement to attend day schools at The University of Huddersfield in both years of the course, so you will need to factor in travel expenses

All students are subject to UCEN Manchester’s Terms and Conditions from the date they accept an offer to study here, full details of which can be found here. The UCEN Manchester Admissions Policy and Procedure can be found here.

UCEN Manchester News

Writing your Personal Statement

Thinking about applying to study a degree level course?

Got a question?

Our teams are here to help, whatever your query.